Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Doggone

She's hairy, and dusty, and she sometimes walks so close to me I can't see her in my shadow. Once in a while, her stick-to-me glue gets on my nerves. But she's mine.


She came to me through Craigslist. We've been together since August of 2009. Once in a while I get wistful for a Corgi, or a Basset Hound, or a Shetland Sheep Dog, or a Labrador, or a Mini-Australian Shepherd, or a Blue Heeler/ACD, but I'm pretty happy with my Border Collie.



She thinks she is the boss, she tries to herd children, ducks, chickens, pigs, cows, and goats if you let her. Mostly she takes her "job" of protecting her territory very seriously.


She's quirky. She has one blue eye, and the other eye is 3/4 black and 1/4 blue, which makes her look cross-eyed sometimes. She hates baths and loves popcorn. She sleeps on my feet and is the first to greet me when I come home and open the gate.

Meet Sam.

4 comments:

A Daughter of the King said...

Oh, a dog with a job is a happy dog! How did Sam get her name, Sheila?

wtf-ery said...

Sam came with her name, although I didn't know, at first, that it was her name. They called her "Palin" when she first got here, and I didn't really care for that name, so I came up with "Taylor" since it was somewhat similar. And she did "okay" with it. Then, in a subsequent conversation with the woman who gave her to me, she mentioned in passing that her original name was Sam. As soon as I called that dog by her name, Same, she lit up like a firework!! She was SO HAPPY that I knew HER NAME! She brightened up and has been a ball of love ever since. <3 her!

Black Fox Homestead said...

She's beautiful! We've talked about getting a working dog for our farm. Haven't decided on the breed yet, but I think at some point we will need one.

~Jenny

Unknown said...

Hi Sheila,
I am following you here as well.
So fun!

What is this leisure time of which you speak?

my grateful button